Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thanksgiving is Two Weeks Away!

Turkeys, sweet potatoes and stuffing… Oh, my! Thanksgiving is only two weeks away and I am beginning to panic. I’m having a small gathering at my home for friends this year on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. I want to replicate the special Thanksgiving feeling for all my close friends -- that cozy feeling of cooking all day with friends and family in the next room watching football. What a great time of year.

I like to keep my main menu very traditional when it comes to holidays. I do, however, like to experiment and try new sides to go along with the great big turkey I roast. This year, I will be preparing Campbell's Ultimate Mashed Potatoes. The name itself just lends how good this side dish turns out!


Ultimate Mashed Potatoes
From: Campbell's Kitchen
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Serves: 6


Ingredients:

3 1/2 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness™ or Certified Organic)
5 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 7 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoon butter
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve some for garnish)
Generous dash ground black pepper

Directions:

Heat the broth and potatoes in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving the broth.

Mash the potatoes with 1/4 cup broth, light cream, sour cream, chives, butter, bacon and black pepper. Add the additional broth, if needed, until desired consistency. Garnish with the remaining bacon.

Best, and until next time, Kaitlin!

No comments: