Saturday, February 7, 2009

Beating the Winter Blues with a Weekend Getaway!



Okay. Is it just me or is anyone else suffering from a severe case of cabin fever? I decided the other day that I needed to get away for a few days, just to get a change of scenery. So, I’m planning a long-weekend getaway for President’s Day Weekend. A few friends and I are going up to the mountains for a weekend of skiing, sledding, movie watching and card playing.

Needless to say, I’ve been busy planning! We’re doing a Potluck, so no one is stuck bringing all of the food. I think I’m going to make a chicken pot pie. It’ll be easy to make ahead of time and freeze until the weekend, and it’s the perfect food for cold weather. Yum!

Here’s the recipe I’ll use:

Chicken Potpie

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's® Chicken Gravy
3 cups cooked cut-up vegetables*
2 cans (4.5 ounces each) Swanson® Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained

Directions:

Let the pie crusts stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or until they're easy to handle. Place 1 pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate.

Stir the gravy, vegetables and chicken in a medium bowl. Spoon the chicken mixture into the pie plate. Place the remaining pie crust over the filling. Press the edges to seal. Cut several slits in the top crust.
Bake at 400°F. for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
*Use a combination of sliced carrots, peas and cubed potatoes.


Also, I’ve been racking my brain trying to think of a fun game or two to play during the weekend, and I remembered one I used to play when I was younger. It’s called Mafia, and the only thing you need to play is a group of people (at least 5 or 6) and a deck of standard playing cards. There are directions for the game here.

Are there any other games you recommend?

No comments: