Thursday, January 28, 2010

Baby, It’s Cold Outside!

I know I cannot speak for everyone when I say “it’s cold outside,” but I live outside Philadelphia where the winter months bring snow with chilly winds. This past week has been really cold and it reminded me that we are in the midst of winter in the Northeast. Only three more months until spring!

When it’s this cold, I really crave hot, comforting foods like soup and chili. I want to stick to my New Year’s resolution of eating healthy but when it’s cold outside, I want something that will stick to my ribs! Since next week is the Big Game and I will be surrounded by chips, dips and other yummy eats (see my last post about Buffalo Chicken Dip), I wanted to find a great, healthy recipe for a winter day. I found this in the Campbell’s Kitchen, and it’s one of the yummiest chili’s I have ever made. It was great because Swanson now offers larger cans of Premium White Chicken for the same price so the value and yummy factor made this recipe all the better! In fact, not only was it Sunday dinner, I also had it for lunch on Monday and Tuesday. Here is the recipe so all of you can enjoy a great chili without the guilt. Enjoy!


White Chicken Chili
From Campbell’s Kitchen
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Serves: 5

Vegetable cooking spray
1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 can (12.5 ounces)* Swanson® Premium White Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
1 can (about 15 ounces) small white beans
1 medium red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
1 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness™ or Certified Organic)
1 can (about 4 ounces) chopped green chiles
Shredded Cheddar cheese


Spray a 2-quart saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat for 1
minute. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until it's tender. Stir the cumin and chili powder in the saucepan.

Stir the chicken, beans, pepper, broth and chiles in the saucepan. Heat to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle with the cheese and serve immediately.

*Or 3 cans (4.5 ounces each)

Nutritional Values per Serving: Calories 187, Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 31mg, Sodium 620mg, Total Carbohydrate 25g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Protein 18g, Vitamin A 24%DV, Vitamin C 34%DV, Calcium 8%DV, Iron 19%DV

Best, and until next time, Kaitlin!

No comments: